If you haven't already register for a free account. It only takes a few minutes and its completely free.
Now that you have an account get logged in and take a few minutes to familiarize yourself with the system. There isn't much to look at yet, but we'll fix this shortly. As an administrator you'll have full access to everything. You can manually add scouts, parents and other adult leaders however its much quicker to import the data.
Import your data
If you're migrating from another system you should export your data from it.
Import your users using a spreadsheet
Everybody has a user file. This includes scouts, parents and other adults and you can import all from a single import.. Parents are defined as adults who are assigned a relationship to a scout within Scout Manager.
The easiest path to importing user daa is to use our Scout & Parent CSV Template to prepare your data. You don't have to use the template, but it will save you a lot of time later if you prepare your data to this specification up front. To use it:
- Download the template and open it in MS Excel or equivalent.
- You'll see that we've pre-populated the headers. Keep these named as is because we'll use them to auto-discover the columns during import. You can put the columns in a different order or remove columns if you don't need them.
- Using the sample data as a guide fill in the rows with your user data. Parent data should go on the same row as the Scout. You don't have to provide every data field, but you MUST provide a first and last name.
- Save as CSV (comma-separated-values)
- Switch back to your browser and open up Scout Manager
- In the menu select Administration => Import Data
- Select "User Import / User File Import" and follow the directions to import your data.
Note that you cannot import parent data without a scout. But you can import adults along with your scout data, just be sure to specify which is which (use the template!).
When the import finishes you'll have your scout data and parents (if you added them) in the system. The import process will automatically link the parents to the scouts. If you run the import process multiple times it will detect existing scouts and update their information.
Import your awards using a spreadsheet
Next you should import your scout awards data. Prepared your data in tabular format and save it as CSV.
- Scout's Last Name - the first/last name must match your scout in Scout Manager exactly.
- Scout's First Name
- Award Date - can be formated as yyyy/mm/dd, yyyy-mm-dd, mm/dd/yy, mm-dd-yy, mm/dd/yyyy or mm-dd-yyyy. (e.g. 11-01-2015)
- Award Name or Scoutnet Code - We do our best to match the award name using advanced techniques, but sometimes it just won't match up. In these cases we'll show you what we can't figure out and you'll need to modify your input file to help identify the award.
What needs to happen on the award import is to match up the scouts by name and match the awards to the ones within Scout Manager. Your input file should have one award per row (lots of rows), no header record and have its columns ordered as follows:
Importing from Troop Master
If you're migrating from Troopmaster see our Import from troopmaster guide.
Importing from ScoutNet
We no longer support importing from the ScoutNet PDF due to variations in their format making it a highly unreliable source. We recommend putting your data into a spreadsheet application, saving as CSV and then following the process above.
To finish up you should:
- Assign leadership roles such as Adult Leaders, Awards Coordinator and Treasurer (if you're using Scout Accounts)
- Map Scouts to Dens/Patrols
- Review and validate your data and make adjustments as needed.
You'll want to assign roles to the leaders in your Pack. Doing this is very quick and easy. See the section on User Security for details on each role and how to assign them to adults.
Inviting new Users
The system intentionally doesn't send out email notifications when you create an account. We used to do this, but it becomes very confusing for parents when you're just testing or trying to get things setup.
To get your leaders (and later the parents) on board after you've setup their account you can use 1 of 2 methods:
Method 1 (easiest)
- Select the Administration => Invite New Users link from the menu. This will show you the new users who have not logged in yet and/or whose invite token has expired (2 weeks).
- Review the list, then click "Send Invites"
Method 2 (easy, but more time)
- Open each user's profile that you want to invite
- Click the button labeled "Invite to Scout Manager" (this is on the first tab)
In both scenarios the user will receive an email that provides their username and instructions for how to set their password.
The email they receive is only valid for 2 weeks so if they don't click the link it will expire and you'll need to send them another invite email. In addition, once they click the link it becomes invalid for future use -- they should select a password and use that to login afterwards. These are all security measures to help protect their account.